Thursday, August 1, 2013

Zombie Writing...no brain eating involved!

There is nothing like writing a book. I love creating a character and giving them a personality, a face, a life. I have always enjoyed writing, but now that I am planning to publish a book in a few months, I have deadlines. It's still fun for me but I sometimes stay up well past midnight to write because hey, I'm on a deadline, I gotta get it done. Here is the problem with late night writing; say I want to finish a chapter before I go to bed, it's one o'clock in the morning and I have three pages to go so I keep writing. My eyes are barely open and my mind is on automatic but my fingers are still moving a mile a minute. This is what I call Zombie Writing,


Not that kind of Zombie. But, it feels that way because my brain is almost shut off and I am still aimlessly typing like a mad women. I suppose there may be some drool involved and perhaps some one syllable words when my husband says, "Are you coming to bed?" but that is where the Zombie comparisons end. Eventually, when I close my laptop and fall into bed, I can't even bask in the joy of reaching my goal because I am beyond exhausted. And, in the morning when I re-read what I have written, it makes very little sense and grammar is awful. Can I salvage anything?  No, not really. I am completely dedicated to producing a story that is well thought out and has well developed characters who provoke emotions and captivate the readers. In my opinion, writing just to reach a goal is not worth it if nothing sensible is coming from it. That does not mean that you shouldn't keep your goals in sight, goals are important and you should strive to meet them as long as it's not haphazardly. Sometimes you just have to close up shop and take a break. There is nothing wrong with that, it may improve your story. On the other hand, in the event of a Zombie apocalypse, you'll fit right in.