Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Coffee and laptops...yeah they don't mix



I have been gone for far too long. But I have a perfectly good explanation for that so I'm about to tell you a story about a coffee cup, a laptop and hope!

There are two things that are very important to me as a writer; 1) coffee. I need my coffee to keep me awake as I write long hours into the night. Yes, I pull all nighters and they are pretty much impossible without that cup (or two) of joe. 2) my laptop. The laptop is essential, without it I would not be able to write because good old paper and pen just don't work anymore everything is done electronically. So, without these two things I would not be able to write.

Coffee and laptops, great separately. Usually my laptop is sitting in front of me and my coffee cup is sitting to my left as I type but on this particular day I was doing a read through and edits on my manuscript so my laptop was pushed back and my coffee cup was sitting in between it and me. You can see where this is going I bet. As I read along I had to get up from my seat at the dining room table so that I could do, what, I don't even remember because what happened next was painful. As I got up and pushed my chair back my chest bumped the coffee cup and dumped all over my laptop. It was on for two seconds then the screen went black. I immediately unhooked all power sources from the laptop and turned it upside down so that the coffee could drain.

My husband who was trying to help me, looks at me and before I even say anything he says, "It's going to be ok," I was like, "No, no it's not." He was so great as he tried to calm me down and after a few tears and some deep breaths I calmed down but the thought that my laptop was ruined burned through my brain. You are thinking, no big deal you have your manuscript backed up right? Uh, no. I didn't. I know, I know it wasn't a very smart choice to not have it backed up but I hadn't thought that I would actually be that careless. I'm usually really cautious around my laptop because it holds all of my writing.

So my laptop is sitting upside down draining onto a towel and I am frantically searching online (with my phone) for some advice on what I should do. Everything that I came across said that if you dumped water on it then there is a chance it could be saved but if you dumped something sugary or with dairy in it then it was probably not savable. Well my coffee had both of those things in it and I was thinking to myself this is so not going to be good.

I am a women of faith. I believe in God and Jesus. I definitely believe that He has a greater plan for us if we follow Him He will set us on that path and every single event that happens to you on that path is meant to be because it is His will. So the series of events that took place next was not surprising but I was so grateful that He gave me a sign so clear that it gave me some peace of mind.

All of this happened on a Thursday. Friday my husband and I were preparing to go on a weekend camping trip with our two children and Scout family. I had just finished all of my own edits as I was wrapping up the last chapter. Earlier that morning I had asked my editor if she was ready for my manuscript on Monday because I was going to finish the last chapter edits and do another read through over the weekend. Yes, I was suppose to spend a family weekend with the kids and camp out in a tent on the hard ground in the wild. But I was thinking of ways that I could smuggle my book into the campsite and read it so that it was fully ready by Monday morning for my editor.

My husband, bless his heart, was getting pretty tired of hearing me talk about my book and how I needed to finish it. How it wasn't getting done because I couldn't work continuously on it like I wanted. We had been at odds a couple of times about it but he realized how important it was to me so he relented. I have to admit that I let the book be one of the most important things in life for me while I was writing and editing it. Even though he was helping me with my laptop I think deep down he was thinking, good now she can take a break. He had told me that he was going to tell me to stay home alone for the weekend and just finish up what I needed to finish too.

Completely saddened by the turn of events I flopped down on my couch and tried not to hyperventilate because I had just finished my first novel, didn't have a back up and my laptop had too much coffee and went haywire. Logging on Facebook I was going to ask for some advice since I had found only negative things about it online. I follow Joyce Meyer Ministries on Facebook so I get those neat little devotionals and Bible verses that she posts. On this morning she had put this one up:


Learn to enjoy things without developing too strong of an attachment to them. -Joyce

If this was any clearer It would be transparent. I mean really if God had slapped me in the head and said, "Get a grip." it would have been really difficult for me to deny that He was clearly at work here. On Friday Doug and I packed up the car, the kids and headed out to Camp Echockotee. Laptop left behind to drain, manuscript untouched and hope completely and faithfully intact that when I started it up on Sunday evening it would work.

We had an amazing weekend and the weather was absolutely perfect for a fall camping trip. My husband and I actually repelled down a 50 foot wall and we just don't do that stuff because he is afraid of  heights and I am afraid of anything new especially something that could equal death. Hello, 50 foot wall, one harness and a rope that I controlled, yeah I was afraid. But I didn't panic and I didn't stress. I kept it together. And that goes for both laptop and that 50 foot drop that could have very well been the death of me.

On Sunday when we got home we unpacked and settled in. As I got my laptop and turned it over I put the battery back in and pushed the power button. Ok, the lights were on that was a good sign. When the screen came up with all of my files I was so happy!! I was not surprised because my faith was unshakable because of the clear signs that I had gotten from up above.

Can you believe that I am typing on my laptop right now and it works. At first the keys stuck and some didn't work but when I hooked up my wireless keyboard and, out of habit, typed on the laptop keyboard 4 days later all of the keys worked with the exception of the right clicker. My laptop is back and in good condition. Faith and hope can give you a lot of things and a peace of mind is one of those. There really is no use in worrying about something that is in God's hands. I had a great weekend, my editor has my manuscript and I am blogging again, woo hoo!